Don’t waste your money: education
Education is key. No doubt. Education does not always mean someone else telling you what to do. Most education should come from within. You should be educating yourself all the time.
With that in mind, I am becoming more and more convinced that it does NOT matter which school you go to for your license. I may be wrong, but looking back, I think you should find a reasonably priced school with a few honest people inside that you can trust and then just get to work. Don’t waste your money on the most expensive school in town. Some people may need that, but if you are going to be great, you will be great no matter what. Schools sell you a dream. Big corporate product companies have a ton to gain from that dream so they back the schools up by creating a brand of education that you will feel that you can’t live without.
In the end it doesn’t matter. When it’s time to get a job, your boss is looking for a few simple things: responsibility, professionalism, dependability, customer service skills, willingness to learn and grow, work ethic and great style. If you have a passion for what we do, you will be just as ready going to an affordable school. Nothing is worse than starting out your artistic career with monster debt and student loans for an inflated price-tag on a brand name school.
Better yet: apprentice. (if that is an option)
The Be’s of Trully Great Barbers
Great men deserve great barbers. The barbering industry deserves great barbers. Who will rise to the occasion? Here are a few points that may assist along the path to greatness.
- Be Reliable- Hold yourself to a high standard of customer service and reliability.
- Be Educated- Add new skills and experiences to your arsenal as often as you can.
- Be Stylish- We are in the business of attraction and appearance.
- Be Well-Groomed- Hair, nails, skin and personal hygiene.
- Be Prepared- Offer advice, friendly conversation, encouragement and skill.
- Be Inspired- Connect your actions to what you feel. Connect style to context.
- Be Adventurous- Try something new. Innovate and Evolve. Look forward.
- Be Well-Read- Expand and refresh your personal culture. Increase your depth.
- Be Passionate- It is never just a haircut. And we are not just barbers.
- Be an Example- Elevate the prestige and status of our industry in word & deed.